Eight-year-old Sonner is a fanatic Spider-Man fan, but he has invented a new superhero after his dad helped save his mum’s life – CPR Man.
Last August, dad James Franklin, 45, had to perform CPR (cardiopulmonary resuscitation) on mum Emma, 44, when she collapsed from a sudden cardiac arrest at their home in Southampton.
Garage office manager Emma Franklin, whose mum died of a cardiac arrest in bed in her late forties, said she woke up that day feeling completely normal, but soon realised something was wrong. “I kept getting this pain between my shoulder blades, into my jaw and down my arm,” says Emma. “Out of nowhere, our middle daughter Lily was shouting that mum's having some sort of fit or seizure,” adds James.
James ran into the living room but couldn’t get a response from Emma. He immediately dialled 999.
James and his neighbour, who stayed by James’ side throughout, moved Emma off the sofa and on to the floor while a neighbour looked after Sonner. With the call handler in his ear James began CPR on his wife. “The only time I've been taught CPR is when I was a boy scout, and that was a long time ago,” says James.
Around four minutes later, a Community First Responder arrived at the home and wired up the defibrillator to shock Emma. It was a success.